Junior League (5th & 6th Grades)
Players in the 5th & 6th grades will participate in the "Junior" League of the Old Silver Lake League. This is our 2nd level of competitive Softball. Players are placed onto evenly competitive teams and begin playing "real" games. Teaching the game, as well as advancing players' skills continue to be stressed, along with winning and losing.
Beginning in 2017, JUNIOR LEAGUE teams will play two games per week, Monday, Wednesdays, and some Sunday evenings.
Teams will travel and play teams from Duxbury, Halifax, Carver, Kingston, Hanson, Whitman & Pembroke
Continue to improve on the fundamentals of:
- Running the bases.
When they have finished the Junior Division, the players should be able to:
- Display effective bunting skills.
- Complete pick offs, pickles and hold runners to the originating base.
- Understand defensive and offensive 1st & 3rd situations.
- Complete cut offs and relays from the outfield.
- Reach out slides in to home, (never head first).
- Learn more advanced signs from coaches when at bat or on base.
- Understand basic game strategy, when to bunt, steal, etc.
- Pitchers begin to develop multiple pitches.
- Catchers become field leaders.
- Communicate and work as a team.
Pitchers and Catchers should continue getting as much one-on-one coaching as possible in the proper mechanics of pitching and catching. Support is available from the league, just ask.
Bases and Equipment
- Double 1st base.
- 11” Ball (Yellow if possible).
- 36’ pitching distance.
- 60’ Base paths (standard).
- Batting helmets with cages and chin straps (player provided).